Monday, August 17, 2009

End of Summer 2009 - Portland (Day 11)



We woke early this morning, said our goodbyes to Jenni & Will, and moved on our way to the last portion of our trip... Portland. It's weird how you can be completely sad to say goodbye to friends, but at the same time be really excited to see the next set of friends/family on your adventure. I was sad though, to say goodbye to Jenni & Will... and to Seattle... because our time with them, and our time in Seattle was truly a fantastic end to our summer. Thanks for everything guys!!!

The drive to Portland is 3+ hours from Seattle and honestly, was the worst stretch of road I've driven yet on this trip. Everyone here drives the speed limit, or slightly below, which all by itself drives me insane. Everyone in Utah drives at least 10 mph over the speed limit and everyone is a hurry to get where they're going. Not here... not on this stretch of I-5. What was worse was that the slow lane would have a line of cars, and the fast lane would have a line of cars, and you couldn't pass anyone because everyone drove side by side. WTF??? Needless to say... it was a stressful drive and I didn't enjoy it at all. Brandon was still tired from having to wake up early, he slept nearly the entire way too. I was glad to get to Portland.

We arrived at Jim & Lori's house around 12:30pm. Jim & Lori are Brandon's grandparents on his dad's side... they're John's parents. We haven't seen them in maybe 7 years, so we were excited to be able to get down to Portland on this trip for a visit. John and his girlfriend Rachel decided to join us on this trip so that John and Brandon could spend more time together, so they drove separately behind us. We arrived about 30 minutes ahead of them and had a nice "Hello" with Jim & Lori on the back patio before they arrived. Once they got there, Rachel, Lori and I drove over to a nature market much like Whole Foods and picked up stuff for dinner and lunch. Back to the house we prepared lunch and then sat around visiting and playing Scrabble for a while. Later we fixed dinner and enjoyed a nice evening of visiting.

It's a lot warmer in Portland than it is in Seattle, and a lot muggier. Jim & Lori's house doesn't have air conditioning and with the mugginess, it feels much hotter than it probably is. There are fans running, but they're only circulating the warm muggy air. I'll be sleeping without blankets tonight, that's for sure!!

Tomorrow, more visiting with Jim & Lori, John & Rachel, and then we move on to Leissa's house for our last day in Portland. Stay tuned...






1 comment:

Jenni said...

I hate that! When you can't pass cars because they drive side by side. Ugh how annoying!! I'm glad that you got to go to Portland and see more friends/family. Sounded like you had so much fun!