Today has been the worst day ever. I woke this morning around 6:00am with the sudden and painful urge to use the bathroom. From there on out, it has been a complete bummer of a day with me feeling sicker than I have in a long time... almost as sick as I felt in March when I got the flu, only this has been, in ways, much worse.
We ended up contacting our "Best Day Tours" rep to see if we could reschedule our Tulum/Xel-Ha trip to Saturday. Luckily that worked out and even if I hadn't been sick today, it would have been a good move because it was also POURING rain with dark black clouds in the sky all morning. That would have been miserable to see the ruins and not be able to snorkel because of thunderstorms. Anyway, at first I was just suffering from the worst case of the runs I've ever had, but after we ate some breakfast downstairs, my stomach started to knot and I suffered not only from the runs, but also from nausea and stomach cramps all day. I am sitting in bed now still as I write this.
Basically, I spent the entire day in bed. I have a fever. My stomach hurts. My intestines hurt. My body aches. The thought of food makes me ill. Everytime I eat anything (Saltine Crackers) or drink anything (bottled water) it moves right through me - literally. I've been drinking bottled waters all day so to not get dehydrated, but I have a headache and I feel sore which makes me wonder if I am a little dehydrated anyway.
Stanley has been so good to me, I've been bundled under the blankets trying to sleep this off most of the day and he's been good to get me waters, help me feel better, even order me chicken soup and rolls for dinner. I had a little and I'm letting it settle a bit before I try eating some more. He spent some time at the pool today after the rains stopped and out on the balcony reading, and now he's down at the buffet getting some dinner alone because I couldnt join him. He said he's going to try and find me a Gatorade to sip on while he's out. That will be nice.
Anyway, I've tried to figure out what I ate that made me sick. Yesterday was the first day we've eaten outside of the resort and the only thing I ate that Stanley didnt eat was the rice pudding. So, that has to be the culprit. And, after browsing the internet for food causes of diarrhea in foreign countries is unpasturized dairy products. If I had to guess, I would say that the rice pudding was made with milk that had not been pasturized. Damnit!!!
Either that or I ate something here in the resort that had some sort of gastroenteritis bug on it. In any case, this has been the worst vacation day I've ever experienced. I hope that tomorrow I'm feeling better because we're supposed to go to Xcaret all day and I dont want to be out and about in the heat if I'm poopy and barfy all day :( So sad.. Michele is NOT happy :(
And, we have no pictures to post today either because I've been bed ridden. Sorry everyone!!!
3 comments:
Hello Michele and Mr. Andrus,
I have enjoyed reading about your fun trip to Cancun! I just back from México myself. My family and I went to Puerto Peñasco last week with our cousins from Mesa, we loved it! But anyway I TOTALLY feel for you Michele...when I went to Perú back in August 2005 I got Giardia and I had the runs and could hold anything down and had nausea and my stomach hurt, etc. etc. but I'm sure that is not what you have thank goodness! Well I just wanted to say hi!
Martha
P.S. Happy Late Anniversary
One more thing I have a blog too:
martharex.blogspot.com
:)
That is it . . . the pudding!!! Cardinal rule is never eat salads (cause they wash it in water) and never eat dairy products. I am so sorry. Keep drinking Gatorade so your electrolytes stay normal.
E-Liz
Post a Comment